announcing a new narrative poem from
With illustrations by Clive Hicks-Jenkins
We are delighted to announce the publication of a new book from poet Simon Armitage, in collaboration with artist Clive Hicks-Jenkins, and Design for Today.
Simon Armitage’s extended narrative poem uses the well-known framework of the Brothers Grimm tale but gives us a new contemporary interpretation and focus. This is a darker, glittering Hansel & Gretel fairy story for the 21st century, of refugees, bombed villages, homelessness, a landscape where nothing is quite as it seems, but of humanity, humour and hope too.
The powerful story is illustrated by the visual creations of artist Clive Hicks-Jenkins. His compelling Hansel & Gretel characters have appeared as prints, and as a Toy Theatre for Benjamin Pollock's Toyshop and reimaginged here using the imagery of the toy box of wooden puppets, villages and building blocks in creating a unique, contemporary fairytale landscape.
Hansel & Gretel will be published in a beautiful 96 page hardback edition by Design For Today and will be available at the Goldfield Productions touring performances of Hansel & Gretel later this year, from Design For Today, and from selected stockists.
- Cheltenham Festival WORLD PREMIERE – 7th July 2018
- Lichfield Festival ‘book at bedtime’ Lichfield Guildhall – 13th July 2018
- Lichfield Festival matinee Lichfield Guildhall – 14th July 2018
- Three Choirs Festival – 29th July 2018
- Oxford Contemporary Music – 14th September 2018
- Jack Lyons Concert Hall York – 3rd October 2018
- Barbican Milton Court Concert Hall Schools Matinee – 12th October 2018
- Barbican Milton Court Concert Hall – LONDON PREMIERE – 12th October 2018
- Canterbury Festival Colyer-Fergusson Concert Hall – 21st October 2018
- Bath Spa University – Michael Tippett Centre – 24th October 2018
- Broadway Theatre (Letchworth) – 4th November 2018
Please contact email@example.com for book orders, enquiries, press pack & availablity & do sign up to our newsletter for updates.